Since I know I have been placed within a year 2 classroom I have been able to look more closely into the curriculum I need to implement while on prac. I am going to use David’s post in the book What should your students know? from week 10.
- Identify what curriculum you will be using while on Professional Experience.
2. Identify what (if anything) that curriculum document has to say about what your students should be able to
- already do with ICTs; and,
Learning in Design and Technologies builds on concepts, skills and processes developed in the Early Years Learning Framework, revisiting, strengthening and extending these as needed.
- what they should be able to do by the end of this year
By the end of Year 2 students will have had the opportunity to create designed solutions at least once in each of the following technologies contexts: Engineering principles and systems; Food and fibre production and Food specialisations; and Materials and technologies specialisations. Students should have opportunities to experience designing and producing products, services and environments. This may occur through integrated learning.
3. Do you Understand the expectations? Can you fulfill those expectations? Do you have the knowledge and the skills?
I understand the expectations to develop the children’s ICT skills. I believe I can fulfill these expectations to some extend in conjunction with my mentors assistance and actively planning for this learning. I do have the knowledge and the skills to teach and guide students to meeting learning outcomes
4. How are you going to know exactly what your students are able to do?
By having discussions with the teacher about previous learning experiences using the computers and their skills and abilities. I will draw on prior documentation and by having discussions with student. Constant observations of the students engaging with the learning material is another method.
5. How are you going to help them?
I am going to help the children by observing and providing scaffolding where needed. I will plan activities that are challenging but not un-achievable. I will be available for assistance when and when required and further challenging students where needed.